Sunday, August 4, 2019

Empowerment through Heartbreak, Redemption and Renewal



There was a time I was heartbroken, in fact my heart was smashed into pieces by a sledgehammer.

In the bitter winter of December 2003, I was living in New York City, on the edge of Harlem.

Wrapped in a heavy coat, I trudged around the frozen lake in Central Park, with tears streaming down my face; dazed and shocked, betrayed and violated, abandoned and ostracised.

Sinking into the deepest misery about the offence committed against me, I suddenly felt a crashing wave of empathy for the people I loved, and how I’d hurt them by leaving.

In that epiphany of empathy, I recalled every person I’d ever sinned against and hurt in my life. They all came to me; their sad and angry faces, in a swirling vision of recrimination.

I was swamped with agonising remorse, a very different emotion to self-centred guilt and shame. I experienced pure sorrow for other human beings whom had suffered because of my immaturity, selfishness, recklessness and lack of morals.

In my moment of truth, I dropped to my knees on the cold, wet earth and cried out to God for forgiveness. I needed a saviour. I called on Jesus Christ. I needed redemption. I needed to heal my sense of badness and find goodness. I was a sinner.

For the rest of my time in New York I attended the Baptist Church and my black brothers and sisters accepted me in my brokenness, they loved me and prayed for me. They saved me with Amazing Grace and baptised me in white robes.

They eased me through my dark night of the soul until I was ready to return home to Australia and start the harrowing healing process with my family.

I joined a church back home, and started the next stage of my spiritual journey: repentance. This Greek word means “rethink” and that’s what I did: reviewing, reproaching, regretting and ruminating over my past.  

I revised my values and beliefs through soaking up sermons, reading scripture, praying earnestly and singing my heart out every Sunday.

I healed my pain through journaling, therapy and grieving; learning the art of understanding, kindness, forgiveness, compassion and grace for others and myself.

I made amends to those I’d hurt and healed damaged relationships.  
This soul searching lasted a good three years.

And finally I reached a place of renewal. I was ready for a new life. Recovered, revived and rejuvenated, I started a fresh new chapter as a better, deeper, wiser human being.

Six Steps to Renewal

In retrospect I identified six steps to this process of growth, which I’ve witnessed others move through too.

Step One is an experience of crushing pain due to a life crisis – in relationships, heath or finances. Or sometimes two or three of these essential props that hold us secure crash simultaneously.

Step Two is an experience of intense empathy. In the vulnerability of pain, all defences drop away, and we see ourselves honestly – all our weaknesses and defects, all our mistakes and sins and how we have impacted and hurt or failed loved ones or innocent bystanders.   
       
Step Three is an overwhelming experience of remorse; deep sorrow for the pain we’ve caused others. Suddenly we can see from the other person’s perspective, which opens a flood of contrition.

Step Four brings total humility and a genuine crying out for salvation and redemption. Some cry out to God, others reach out for help from caring people.

This breakdown can be a catalyst for healing and growth or cause some isolated people to fall into an abyss and seek solace in dangerous places.

Step Five is a process of repentance, of introspection and reflection, re-evaluating values and healing emotional wounds and repairing relationships.  
    
Step Six, like the glory of springtime, brings renewal, as you embark on a new life. With your new wisdom and good qualities you can make the world a better place.

This is not a formal, orchestrated process, but the natural path of the wounded heart seeking healing and growth.

Broken people mend and grow into compassionate, wounded healers capable of embracing human frailty and guiding the heartbroken on the rocky path to a gentle meadow of spring flowers, where they will bloom and flourish.

Sufi philosopher and poet Rumi said: “The wound is the place where the light enters you.” 




  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment